Living in South Dakota can bring a lot of ill opinions to the winter season. We spend so much time complaining about the cold air, the snow-caked driveways and the ice that never seems to give up. We spend so much time waiting for Summer, that when it gets here we barely know what to do with it. That’s what we’re here for. A lot of times adults feel like they can’t have too much fun during the Summer because of work and the kids, but the reality is you just have to find the right things to do. Nobody wants to spend an arm and a leg just for some good Summer fun so why not take a look at Charisma’s top five list of things to do in Sioux Falls during the Summer!
- Parks: This one must’ve been pretty obvious right? They’re almost always free to get into and your kids can have a blast until they’re completely drained. For parents, this is usually a good time to get some sun, relax, and just enjoy the nice weather. Bringing a cooler with snacks and drinks can make this a much more enjoyable experience!
- Swimming Pools: South Dakota has a plethora of public swimming pools available all throughout the day. Terrace Park, Aquatic Center, Watiki Water Resort, and even the Sioux Falls favorite, Wild Water West!
- Public Events: One thing that Sioux Falls excels at in particular is its public events. For example, every Saturday throughout the Summer people can come to the Moonlight Movies downtown and enjoy a free movie under the stars. This may not seem like much but honestly getting out to enjoy a movie with the family can be rewarding. There’s plenty of space for the kids to play and the parents can pull up a lawn chair or a nice towel and just relax.
- Sports: A lot of families may not be too into sports, but if you are, then believe me there’s going to be no problem finding something to do this Summer. What’s more American than baseball? Unless your answer is apple pie, you’re wrong. Sioux Falls Canaries play all Summer and tickets are relatively inexpensive.
- Sight Seeing: It doesn’t take much to go outside and just enjoy the view. The beauty of the Midwest is the never ending supply of scenic routes, beautiful landscapes, and state parks galore. Whether you’re taking your family kayaking through the winding rivers splitting through the Palisades or walking the trails at Good Earth, your family is bound to have a blast on these nature-filled adventures.
Whether you enjoy the outdoors or not hopefully this list can give some proper insight into having fun in the sun. The beauty of the Midwest isn’t indoors. It’s in the air, in the fields, in the woods. It’s getting out and making use of the blessings around us. So get out this Summer and soak in that sunlight that we yearn for so often. Enjoy the beauty around us and love every second of it.